Sunday Worship Service
Sunday, BH Congregational Church
The Bar Harbor Congregational Church was established on May 20, 1883. The congregation met in the Union Meeting House, commonly called the “White Church” (above). The White Church, used by all denominations at the time, had been built in 1853.
About 1870 the population of Eden (re-named Bar Harbor in 1918) was sufficient to support separate churches for the various denominations and the Congregationalists acquired title to the Union Meeting House.
In 1888-1889 the Meeting House was replaced with a granite church, pictured above, on the same site.
The granite church burned in 1942 and was replaced in 1951 by the present structure, which was designed to be similar to the old White Church.